Sunday, June 12, 2011

Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis


This is the first volume of Lewis' Space Trilogy. I tried to read it a few years back and I honestly found it a bit dull. I have had it on my shelf since then and have been wanting to read it, so I figured me being a bit more grown up, I should give it another try. I am glad I gave it another go because I found it very interesting. I admit it was not the most engaging book, being written with a few words I do not have in my vocabulary, and worded in a way that may make the reader take a second, more thorough glance.
For those of you who do not know this book is about a man named Ransom who, by an unforeseen circumstance and almost by mistake, is taken to another another planet. He is captured by some detestable fellows, one of which happens to be an old school mate.
This novel is about the very interesting adventure Ransom has while trying to escape his captors. Ransom learns a lot about the planet and interacts with the creatures who live on it. While Ransom lives with some of the creatures it makes one really think about how we treat one another, especially others who look different.
In the end this book really makes you think some pretty deep stuff. It makes you think about how we go about life, what we value, how we treat people, what will come of us after we die, and what we really believe in. At least it did for me!
I also found it interesting in the way and perspective it was written. You don't find out until the end and I don't want to spoil it for you, so I will just leave it at that.
I hope you read this book, and if you have feel free to comment if you want to discuss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment